System with Relative Motion
- Client was experiencing ~10% incidence of stalls during motion resulting in unacceptable user risk.
- Client technical team needed to gain understanding of root cause, determine if system was viable, and how to make design changes
- Developed simple first principles model (<1 day)
- Predicted the locations in the range of motion where stall was likely
- Locations vulnerable to stall subsequently confirmed by client data
- Simple model predicted stalls and provided insight into solutions.
- Saved months of further trial-and-error testing.
- Model served as tool to inform a new design path to a robust-by-design system.
- Without this intervention and design solution the program was likely to be canceled
- The design flaws were knowable, and correctable, prior to tooling and test