Pressure Sensor and Occlusion Detection
- System design required detection of tubing internal pressure indirectly across a membrane
- Inputs and outputs, interfaces and interactions were not well-defined or understood
- Fundamentals of the pressure to force transformation sensor were not well understood
- The development team did not have a good understanding of the terms in the transfer function between pressure and output signal
Build basic models to support design robustness simulations
- Forces us to acknowledge pertinent terms, and make assumptions explicit
- Define a transfer function
- Acknowledge all the other terms
Enabled automated screening for suitable coefficients, assessment of false positive/negative rates, and viable technology implementation for production.
Model-based approach provided the required insight to complete the system design and support the manufacturing and final test method.